So I was finally able to conduct my little media experiment this past weekend. I ended up doing it on Saturday. Now I know it was impossible to avoid media all together unless i just locked myself in a closet all day. But I chose the forms of media that one would think that I would not be able to live without, my music, internet, TV, and phone. Like I said other forms of media were impossible to avoid, such as billboards and other outdoor advertisements.
This was definately a weird and different experience for me. When I woke up Saturday the first thing I wanted to do was go to my MP3 player, but I stopped myself because I remembered the "Experiment". So I thought to myself, "this is going to be a long day". But luckily I had a busy day scheduled so that it would help me get through it, hopefully. My plans consisted on going to work for my dad, so I had to tell him that we couldn't listen to the radio on the way to work, or at work. He didn't really enjoy that too much, but he did it anyway. I even left my phone at home the entire day so i wouldnt be tempted to call or text anyone and in case someone called or text me I wouldnt answer.
So work was over and we got home. Well it was Saturday, and you know what that means, college football. I wasnt able to watch any of it. What a great day to decide to do my experiment, what an idiot. But I toughed it out and was able to not watch any college football, and OU was playing too. Now that was hard. While my dad was out in the living room watching the games, I locked myself in my room and read a book. That was odd. I typically don't read much, but on that day I would say that I got quite a bit done.
On most days I check Facebook on a pretty regular basis, but not Saturday. That was definately strange. That was probably the first day I havent gotten on Facebook in God knows how long. Im sure some of my friends out there probably thought I was dead or something since I didnt get on, haha.
But all in all I survived. I made it the entire day without my favorite forms of media. Definatley not something that I would want to do again, it pretty much sucked. It was a long boring day. I mean I almost felt Amish, except I still had my truck and minus the cool beards. It was really interesting to see how my day went and not only how different my day went, but also I felt throughout the day. That day made me realize how much my life is consumed my media. But the second it turned midnight I went straight for my MP3 player for some music. The first song that I heard was "How to Handle a Rope" by Queens of the Stone Age (I wonder what the song of the day is gonna be).
Well that concludes my day without media experiment. Results: Terrible. Conclusion: Never gonna happen again.
Now I highly recommend that you go listen to this song, because although they are great lyrics you just can't get the full effect of the song without the actual music and Josh Homme on guitar.
Song of the Day
"How to Handle a Rope"
Queens of the Stone Age
Too late to think or filter anymore
A bitter pill to swallow Maybe you're in a blanket haze of ephedrine
I'm wonderin where the hell you been
So come on and right this wrong the rope
[chorus:]
You got it all right
You got a feeling
I'd rather open up my wrist, let it go
You got it all rightYou got a feeling
Cause devils and ropes around your neck
Cursing them all
And you can't hear it
Can't hear it
Ain't got a mind to deal with anymore
Sabatuer, infiltrator, and maybe more
If you're not blind and deaf, how can we pollute your head?
So come on and right this wrong the rope
[chorus:]
And I got it all right
I got a feeling
You'd rather open up your wrist, let it go
I got it all right, yeah
I got a feeling
Cause devils and ropes around my neck can't even know
Cause they can't hear it
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment